See also: log / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / Go to latest
Wed, Jan 9, 2019
Couple of things playing on my mind:
- Started reading The Zurich Axioms “TZA”. The very first chapter had an important lesson - “Always play for meaningful stakes.”. I was reminded of the book title “Little Bets” by Peter Sims, when I kept thinking about raising the stakes on doing that matter. I’m going to look into that a bit more to solidify a few things about iterative risk taking (‘little bets’) and learning from the experience. One thing TZA made clear is that “no risk investments” are no such thing, or atleast they won’t remain thus long if you do no reassess the situation and
a. take a profit (and do something else) b. take a loss (and avoid further ruin). This book is about doing.
A look inside Feynman’s calculus notebook. … insatiable curiosity … When he found a subject that interested him, he was not about to wait for the right teacher to come along; he was determined to master it himself. This book is about learning
What about thinking, huh?
See What makes entrepreneurs entrepreneurial? paper on “Effectual reasoning”.
Unlike causal reasoning that comes to life through careful planning and subsequent execution, effectual reasoning lives and breathes execution.
Go from given means to imagined ends, where Given means are:
- Who they are – their traits, tastes and abilities;
- What they know – their education, training, expertise, and experience; and,
- Whom they know – their social and professional networks.
Plans are made and unmade and revised and recast through action and interaction with others on a daily basis. Yet at any given moment, there is always a meaningful picture that keeps the team together, a compelling story that brings in more stakeholders and a continuing journey that maps out uncharted territories.
Mon, Sep 30, 2019
Strategies for Long Projects - Ben Brostoff
- Finding the time means being extremely defensive of your time
- Compounding matters a lot
- Documenting each day shows progress that would otherwise be hidden (Changelog)
- Relentless, irrational optimism is the only attitude that works
Mon, Nov 25, 2019
Ordered “The Heathen in His Blindness : Asia, the West and the Dynamic of Religion” by S.N. Balagangadhara.