See also packaging
- Rainbows and unikernels; Oct 2015. Video
- Unikernels and hyper-elastic clouds by Amir Chaudhry; Nov 2015. Good background info and links on that page too.
- Single stepping into kernel code
- Discussion around “unikernels on docker”. Bunch of new names – Joyent’s Triton, IBM Sawmill.
docker run unikerneldemo at DockerCon EU (nov 2015)
- Using Rump kernels to run unmodified NetBSD drivers on seL4 - Trustworthy Systems Blog
- Unikernel security - why are unikernels secure? (youtube video) by Per Buer
- Unikernels are secure. Here is why. | Unikernels
- Unicore unikernel project announcement on Xen
LightVM - Systems and Machine Learning
We achieve lightweight VMs by using unikernels for specialized applications and with Tinyx, a tool that enables creating tailor-made, trimmed-down Linux virtual machines. LightVM can boot a VM in 2.3ms which comparable to fork/exec on Linux (1ms), and two orders of magnitude faster than Docker. On a somewhat slower server with 64 cores, LightVM can pack thousands of VMs with memory and CPU usage comparable to that of processes
HermiTux | A binary-compatible unikernel; Apr 2019.
HermiTux is binary-compatible with Linux: it can run native Linux executables.
Although being a proof-of-concept, HermiTux supports multiple compiled (C, C++, Fortran) and interpreted (Python, LUA) languages. It provides binary analysis and rewriting techniques to optimize system call latency and modularize a kernel in the presence of unmodified binaries. It supports statically and dynamically linked programs, different compilers and optimization levels. HermiTux also provides basic support for multithreading, debugging and profiling.
solo-io/unik: The Unikernel Compilation and Deployment Platform
UniK (pronounced you-neek) is a tool for compiling application sources into unikernels (lightweight bootable disk images) rather than binaries. UniK runs and manages instances of compiled images across a variety of cloud providers as well as locally on Virtualbox. UniK utilizes a simple docker-like command line interface, making building unikernels as easy as building containers.
Unik supports the following unikernel types:
And supports the following providers:
- Google Cloud
- Xen etc.,
More info on Unik:
- unik/architecture.md at master · solo-io/unik
- UniK: Build and Run Unikernels with Ease · solo-io/unik Wiki
- Unik Slides
- IncludeOS – A minimal, resource efficient unikernel for cloud services | Hacker News
… the symmetric multiprocessing story - Unikernels don’t have such a story. They are inherently single core.
… I just couldn’t ignore was that Linux let you configure it into very small and secure configurations with full SMP support AND you could run ANY existing Linux languages or applications on those tiny systems.
Unikernels generally seemed to need special builds and toolchains and configuration systems and recompilations to get them to run applications.
AUTHORS’s takeaway – “I had come to see that it was possible to build very very small Linux systems, compatible with all Linux software, with all the security advantages of Unikernels, but with the benefit of symmetric multiprocessing and all the Linux driver support and community support.”
Linux compatibility in IncludeOS | Hacker News including a note about rumpkernel maintainer being no longer actrively involved in the project.
Running Forth Unikernels on nanovms.com
- Assessing Unikernel Security [PDF].