List of programs and shell scripts that I find useful.
- 2014-11-26: Conkeror
- 2015-05-06: ccat – colourised cat. there are other ways to do it, including using pygmentize
- 2016-07-22: joeyespo/grip: Preview GitHub Markdown files like Readme locally before committing them.
- 2018-02-19: java_launcher: Helper script to treat Java programs as scripts.
Meta (lists made by other people)
- cjbarber/ToolsOfTheTrade: Tools of The Trade, from Hacker News.
- An Illustrated Guide to Useful Command Line Tools - WezM.net by Wesley Moore
- PriceBlink –useful for comparison shopping. I’ve saved quite a bit of money using this extension.
- Personal Blocklist – filter out content farms from your searches.
- Adblock Plus – A must have for all.
- Send this link with Gmail – very useful to share the web links via email. Works even Google Apps domains.
- JSONView – “an extension that helps you to parse and view JSON documents”. Highly recommended if you do web development
- Screen Capture – screen capture, highlighting and annotation.
pandoc is a fantastic program to convert text to various output formats.
Typcial usage: To convert a markdown formatted text file to html
$ pandoc somefile.txt -f markdown -t html --standalone -o somefile.html
See the detailed pandoc page.
Command line tools
Command line tool to rip CDs to
$ sudo apt-get install abcde id3v2
Insert Disc #1 of a 3-cd audio book
$ abcde -o mp3 -p -W 1.
bcat pipe to browser utility.
Typical usage: To see the
$ git log -p --color | bcat
sharkdp/fd: A simple, fast and user-friendly alternative to find.
gist pastes code, text to [gist.github.com] from command line.
$ gist one.txt
partimage is a Linux disk imaging software. It has a curses based interface to guide you through the options.
Typical usage: make a backup of an entire HDD(say SSD/Flash of a prototype) to your desktop.
$ partimage -z1 save /dev/sdg1 $HOME/backup/prototype-hdd-20100707.partimg.gz
$ partimage restore /dev/sdg1 $HOME/backup/prototype-hdd-20100707.partimg.gz
qpdf – is a command-line program that does structural, content-preserving transformations on PDF files.
pip install http-prompt
junegunn/fzf: A command-line fuzzy finder written in Go
- q is a command line tool that allows direct execution of SQL-like queries on CSVs/TSVs (and any other tabular text files).
- dbeaver – crossplatform database manager for all popular sql dbs and some nosql dbs.
Web development tools
- jq - command line json processor
- HTML-XML-utils – makes scraping tasks that much easier.
- pup - Parsing HTML at the command line. written in go.
- xidel - HTML/XML data extraction tool
~/bins on github
Some more linked on this page: 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- ronn - the opposite of roff.
- Screenotate Take screenshots you can search.