Smaller alternatives to Elasticsearch without all the features
valeriansaliou/sonic: 🦔 Fast, lightweight & schema-less search backend. An alternative to Elasticsearch that runs on a few MBs of RAM.
- does not ship with a web frontend
- from HN comment: “Sonic here only returns document identifiers so you will never be able to get document information back. This is very useful though if all you want to do is index text data and then get the stored information from another data store.”
quickwit-oss/tantivy: Tantivy is a full-text search engine library inspired by Apache Lucene and written in Rust.
- written in Rust
- quickwit-oss/tantivy-cli has a quick onboarding via command line and provides an API that returns JSON search results.
- “UI” is the JSON search endpoint
meilisearch/meilisearch: A lightning-fast search engine that fits effortlessly into your apps, websites, and workflow.
- written in Clojure
- “Smyrna is a concordancer and statistical analyzer for metadata-rich corpora in Polish.”
zinclabs/zinc: ZincSearch. A lightweight alternative to elasticsearch that requires minimal resources, written in Go.
More full featured alternatives to Elasticsearch
Manticore: a faster alternative to Elasticsearch in C++ with a 21-year history
Vespa.ai “store, search, organize and make machine-learned inferences over big data at serving time.”
- Algolia - powers Hackers News search.