- Modern Data Practice and the SQL Tradition | Florents Tselai
- 12 Common Mistakes and Missed Optimization Opportunities in SQL | Haki Benita
Select Star SQL “… is an interactive book which aims to be the best place on the internet for learning SQL. It is free of charge, free of ads and doesn’t require registration or downloads. It helps you learn by running queries against a real-world dataset to complete projects of consequence. It is not a mere reference page — it conveys a mental model for writing SQL”. Very nicely laid out (credits M. Buttrick of “Practical Typography”).
SQLBolt - Learn SQL - Introduction to SQL … a series of interactive lessons and exercises designed to help you quickly learn SQL right in your browser. Related website - regexone
Advanced SQL window functions quiz
SQL style guide by Simon Holywell
How Does a Database Work? | Let’s Build a Simple Database
SQL visualization/query/notebook tools
Redash – can be self hosted.
Franchise: a sql notebook – runs local proxy on your system. the UI itself is on
franchise.cloud website. Can also run locally.
apache/incubator-superset: Apache Superset (incubating) is a modern, enterprise-ready business intelligence web application
forbesmyester/esqlate – Build minimum viable admin panels quickly with just SQL. uses node.js proxy behind nginx. template queries are written using JSON and the “holes” are filled by user to get the results back. Users can also add new records.
The Log File Navigator –
- An advanced log file viewer for the small-scale
- Watch and analyze your log files from a terminal.
- No server. No setup. Still featureful.
- Many logging tools, like Splunk, provide great features but are optimized for large-scale deployments. They require installing and configuring servers before they can be effectively used. There is still a need for a robust log file analyzer for the terminal.
- Just point lnav to a directory and it will take care of the rest. File formats are automatically detected and compressed files are unpacked on the fly.
- Log files are a wealth of information, lnav can help highlight the parts that are important and filter out the noise.
Editors / IDEs
- TablePlus | Modern, Native Tool for Database Management (Native Mac Client).
- PopSQL - Modern, collaborative SQL editor for your team
Command line tools
- GitHub - dinedal/textql: Execute SQL against structured text like CSV or TSV
- xo/usql: universal command-line interface for SQL databases
- cube2222/octosql – OctoSQL is a query tool that allows you to join, analyse and transform data from multiple databases and file formats using SQL.