Search others for their virtues, thyself for thy vices. – Ben Franklin
‘The greatest good for the greatest number’ means the longest good, because the majority of people affected is always yet to come. – Stewart Brand
Perspective is worth 80 IQ points. – Alan Kay
The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge –Bertrand Russuell
The concept that programming is something that you need special education to do is not right. It is something that is promoted by the priesthood. – Chuck Moore.
Knuth taught me the answers. Dijkstra taught me the questions. –A. Stepanov
I don’t have a plan because if I have a plan I’m limited to today’s options. – Sheryl Sandberg
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” – Thomas Jefferson
“The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent. The difference between stupid and intelligent people-and this is true whether or not they are well-educated-is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations-in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.” – Neal Stephenson
“Whoever marries the spirit of this age will find himself a widower in the next.” – William Ralph Inge
“a satiate man has a thousand worries, but a hungry man has only one” – src
10 quotes from Bill Hewlett and David Packard
- The greatest success goes to the person who is not afraid to fail in front of even the largest audience.
- Set out to build a company and make a contribution, not an empire and a fortune.
- The best possible company management is one that combines a sense of corporate greatness and destiny, with empathy for, and fidelity to, the average employee.
- The biggest competitive advantage is to do the right thing at the worst time.
- A company that focuses solely on profits ultimately betrays both itself and society.
- Corporate reorganizations should be made for cultural reasons more than financial ones.
- A frustrated employee is a greater threat than a merely unhappy one.
- The job of a manager is to support his or her staff, not vice verse and that begins by being among them.
- The best business decisions are the most humane decisions. And, all other talents being even, the greatest managers are also the most human managers.
- Investing in new product development and expanding the product catalog are the most difficult things to do in hard times, and also among the most important.> If you t be bought, re the richest man in the world. – Ricky Gervais
What is education?, Its an experience, mentored by an expert, in which the student tries to accomplish something, fails and then after some discussion with peers and mentors, tries again. This is not a new idea, Most PhD programs work this way. – src
“You make your money when you buy [not when you sell]. You buy something you know is going to be worth more a month from now, and you buy it at a very advantageous price.” – src
“Always buy from a leveraged, distressed seller,” – src