See also scheme
What makes lisp special?
- Rondam Ramblings: Yes, code is data, but that’s not what makes Lisp cool 
- What Made Lisp Different; Paul Graham .
- How Lisp Became God’s Own Programming Language; Oct 2018 by Sinclair Target at Two-Bit History.
Starting to code in Common Lisp
- Articulate Common Lisp – How to write Common Lisp in 2015 - an initiation manual for the uninitiated
- A Road to Common Lisp / Steve Losh; Aug 2018
- Starting a minimal Common Lisp project | notes.eatonphil.com; Mar 2018.
- Getting started with Common Lisp | Dark Chestnut; Aug 2017.
- How I got started with Common Lisp in 2017; Sep 2017 – this one uses roswell, compares different editors (atom, emacs-bare/prelude and portacle), explains a bit how asdf and directory structure works etc., useful.
- Home – the Common Lisp Cookbook
- qvm/A Primer on Editing & Running Lisp
- CLHS: Permuted Symbol Index (I)
- Lisp Machine Manual 1984 by Moon, Stallman and Weinreb.
- Simplified Common Lisp reference – appears to be not complete, but interesting presentation.
fogus: The German School of Lisp
Right! I’ve been waiting a couple years for Lumen to get some traction. | Hacker News – wherein user
shawn shows off the cool things you can do with Lumen Lisp. Reference to Ken Thompson’s “Trusting Trust” paper.
- The T Project “T was one of the best Lisp implementations, and set a standard for clean design that few newer dialects have been able to meet.” – Olin Shivers History of T.
- Orbit paper (pdf) by Jonathan Rees
Urn is a Lisp that compiles to Lua. Its tutorial is one of the friendliest to learn Lisp itslef.
- uLisp – Lisp for Arduino, Adafruit M4, Micro Bit, ESP8266/ESP32, and MSP430 boards.
To add readline support to the SBCL REPL, use rlwrap
Use quicklisp to discover, install and manager Lisp libraries
Starting SBCL with QuickLisp pre-loaded.
$ rlwrap sbcl --load ~/quicklisp/setup.lisp
In C, you are writing assembly constructs disguised as a high level language. In lisp, you are writing compiler constructs (abstract syntax trees) disguised as a high level language. Assembly language targets hardware-oriented geeks. Lisp targets compiler-oriented geeks. Since the two don’t (generally) understand the other’s viewpoint, each hates the other’s favorite language.
– gvb @.
Implement your own Lisp
- Build your own Lisp
- mal: make a lisp in multiple languages.
- Lisp in a few lines of Haskell by Ben Lynn at CS.Stanford.
- krig/LISP: My attempt at implementing the original LISP paper while learning lisp. Nothing special, mostly posted as a homage to McCarthy.
- These years in Common Lisp: 2018 – Vince Zd – Medium
- Lisp and DSLs
- Classic Lisp books
- Writing a Common Lisp Web App in caveman2. Blog written in CL Source
- LispOS: Specification of a Lisp Operating System” (Robert Strandh, 2013) (PDF).
- Discussion on Lisp
- Adam Tornhill’s Programming Pages
- uLisp - Lisp for the arduino
- L-99: Ninety-Nine Lisp Problems
- Pascal Costanza’s Highly Opinionated Guide to Lisp
- Borretti – Articles. See State of the Common Lisp Ecosystem, 2015
- malisper.me. See Loops in Lisp Part 4: Series – malisper.me
- Clint Moore
- Lisp journey. See Introducing Replic: an executable and a library to build a readline app in no time - Lisp journey
- Uniform Structured Syntax, Metaprogramming and Run-time Compilation
- Baggers’ Little bits of Lisp (shorter videos, few minutes each).
- Baggers’ Lots of bits of Lisp (longer videos 1-2 hour).
- Lisp, the Universe and Everything: “Programming Algorithms” Book [WIP book]; Jul 2019.
- norvig/paip-lisp: Lisp code for the textbook “Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming” (Also contains PDF of the book).
- Land of Lisp: Learn to Program in Lisp, One Game at a Time!
- Practical Common Lisp (free book)
- On Lisp by Paul Graham (free book)
- Lisp Outside the Box; partially completed; original plan
- Full stack Lisp; develop web applications (hence the “fullstack”) using Common Lisp. [Work in progress]
The de-facto IDE for most lisps in Emacs. Howver Portacle - A Portable Common Lisp Development Environment is a good, ready-to-go, purpose-built distribution of Eamcs for use on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- dlweinreb’s comments | Hacker News ; Daniel Weinreb passed away in 2012.
- Fernando Borretti
- 40ants – “are a group of Lisp hackers. Our goal is to extend Common Lisp’s ecosystem and to solve realworld problems using the most powerful programming language.”
- Corman Lisp (windows only)
- Allego CL
- ultralisp.org/ – bleeding edge quicklisp
Interesting programs / libraries
- https://github.com/Shinmera/beamer slide show program based on trial game engine. Example slide from ELS 2018.
Outperforming everything with anything. Python? Sure, why not? : programming … has some discussions on Common Lisp and CLASP.
Dynamic language compilation discussion, many interesting points about Common Lisp and AOT; Apr 2019.
Why lisp over Julia (HN).