Notes on Go programming language
- Go: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Why Go is no good; Jun 2014. HN1, HN2, shoutout to D.
- Why Go’s design is a disservice to intelligent programmers | Nomad Software; Mar 2015.
- Ten Reasons Why I Don’t Like Golang [July 2016]
- The Codex » I Do Not Like Go;lobste.rs discussion is a balanced discussion.
- The Cost and Complexity of Cgo | Blog | Cockroach Labs, lots of gotchas on that one… FFI is not as simple as one would assume.
- go-is-not-good/README.md at master · ksimka/go-is-not-good - A curated list of articles complaining that go (golang) isn’t good enough
- I Love Go; I Hate Go | HN
- Making the move from Scala to Go, and why we’re not going back | Lobsters
- I don’t get where people get the idea that Go is simple | HN
- Go doesn’t support exception, in syntax. Go has many exceptions, in syntax. * Blog /r/programming
- Bugfender’s issues with using Go - has list of their blog posts.
- Golang sucks // Speaker Deck by Cloudfare Engineers. reddit.
- Why Go and not Rust; Sep 2019.
- “I thought Go does not have generics?”
- “you shall not have any color!”
- Understanding Real-World Concurrency Bugs in Go [pdf], via HN
Go advocates for making thread creation easy and light-weight and for using message passing over shared memory for inter-thread communication. Indeed, we saw more gor-outines created in Go programs than traditional threads andthere are significant usages of Go channel and other message passing mechanisms. However, our study show that if not used correctly, these two programming practices canpotentially cause concurrency bugs.
Shared memory vs. message passing Our study foundthat message passing does not necessarily make multi-threaded programs less error-prone than shared memory.In fact, message passing is the main cause of blocking bugs.To make it worse, when combined with traditional synchro-nization primitives or with other new language featuresand libraries, message passing can cause blocking bugs thatare very hard to detect. Message passing causes less non-blocking bugs than shared memory synchronization and sur-prisingly, was even used to fix bugs that are caused by wrongshared memory synchronization. We believe that messagepassing offers a clean form of inter-thread communicationand can be useful in passing data and signals. But they areonly useful if used correctly, which requires programmersto not only understand message passing mechanisms wellbut also other synchronization mechanisms of Go.
Error Handling in Go – “Rob Pike Reinvented Monads”, Jun 2016.
A very common question Go beginners have is “how do I organize my code?”. Some of the things folks are wondering about are:
- How does my repository structure reflect the way users import my code?
- How do I distribute commands (command-line programs that users can install) in addition to code?
- How do modules change the way I organize my code?
- How do multiple packages coexist in a single module?
- Go at dropbox [Aug 2015]
- Learn Go with Tests - Learn Go with tests this is an innovative approach to learning Go. Via tests.
- Go Books
- The Complete Guide to Learning Go - Calhoun.io
- Advise from Go developers to Go programming newbies
- 50 Shades of Go: Traps, Gotchas, and Common Mistakes for New Golang Devs
- Go by example
- Network programmign with Go last update Apr 2012.
- Go In 5 Minutes - Short, helpful screencasts for professional Go developers
- quii/learn-go-with-tests: Learn Go with test-driven development
- Static analysis features of Godoc
- Language Design in the Service of Software Engineering
- The case for Go language – collection of opinion article on Go.
- and some more …
- Ten Useful Techniques in Go
- Go Steel Programmers - Pittsburg, PA.
- Go-git discussion about this git client library [esp see gogit].
- webgo.io – inspired by web.py
- Go-LINQ – LINQ for Go.
- Godep – Go package dependency management.
- Gox – Go cross compile tool.
- overseer – Monitorable, gracefully restarting, self-upgrading binaries in Go
- reticulum – distributed image and thumbnail server.
- Go by example and it’s source code
- augend – fact database using Riak and Go.
- l3x.github.io golang-code-examples
List of Lists on Go
- Awesome Go – A curated list of awesome Go frameworks, libraries and software.
- emacs for go 2014/8/28
- Microsoft/vscode-go: An extension for VS Code which provides support for the Go language. – worked out pretty well for me on Mac OSX. I was able to configure all the features including debugging using the “delve” debugger. Has nice snippets feature that can be turned on .
garbage collection - How fast is the go 1.5 gc with terabytes of RAM? - Stack Overflow
3-4ms pauses under 1.6, with about an 8GB heap and 150M allocations/minute.
- Garbage Collection In Go : Part I - Semantics
- Garbage Collection In Go : Part II - GC Traces
- Garbage Collection In Go : Part III - GC Pacing
- Interesting ways of using Go channels | Nomad Software
- Visualizing Concurrency in Go · divan’s blog
- Fun with Concurrency in Golang · Alex Sears