tcl is a fine scripting language.
- Main website: http://tcl.tk
- An introduction to tcl from someone who likes it (antirez, the redis creator)
- tcl vs lisp
- tcl vs python
- hecl – a tcl for the jvm
- The Tcl wars
- Famous software written in tcl:
- I can’t believe i’m praising tcl – a c++ expert programmer’s take on tcl.
- What’s new in tcl 8.6
- Tcl: Everything Is a String|HN
Packages and Libraries
- Apache Rivet – webscripting in the mold of PHP.
- tcllib. Installing.
- to check if tcllib works –
package require csv, should return a version no.
- Starkits – are single file packages of tcl files, compiled code and app data. see this link for numerous examples.
- Critcl lets you easily embed C in tcl scripts.
- tcl could be slower than Python
Where ACL shines
- cross platform gui (using tk). (not the most good looking one, but is fairly pervasive).
- Very good C API
- Easy to create Domain Specific Languages
- vfs – easy to package application, data, configuration etc., into one single file.
- iRules Concepts: Tcl, The How and Why DevCentral