See also: Machine learning, Boostrapping, Stats papers.
Statistics is the branch of applied mathematics that studies ways of drawing inferences from limited and imperfect data.
- [The bootstrap] - PDF ; starts with a nice explanation of how to use observations to model data-generating mechanism
- Discussion of how the statistics curriculum could be revised to better emphasize the most important ideas.
- Data is what matters in statistics, more than mathematical manipulation. Advice to Mathematics Teachers on Evaluating Introductory Statistics Textbooks.
- Statistical modeling: The two cultures by Leo Breiman..
- The British amateur who debunked the mathematics of happiness. This is especially funny considering how much I like Seligman’s book Willpower and started to read “Flourish”.
- The discovery of statistical regression; Nov 2015.
General books on statistics
- Statistics done wrong – is a guide to the most popular statistical errors and slip-ups committed by scientists every day, in the lab and in peer-reviewed journals. HN
- The Probability and Statistics Cookbook [online; PDF available] - is a succinct representation of various topics in probability theory and statistics. It provides a comprehensive mathematical reference reduced to its essence, rather than aiming for elaborate explanations.
- Think Stats: Probability and Statistics for Programmers by Allen Downey.
- Stan is a probabilistic programming language implementing full
- Bayesian statistical inference with MCMC sampling (NUTS, HMC),
- approximate Bayesian inference with Variational inference (ADVI)
- and penalized maximum likelihood estimation with Optimization (L-BFGS).
Presentations / talks
Visualisation / Comics
- Random: Probability, Mathematical Statistics, Stochastic Processes – “a website devoted to probability, mathematical statistics, and stochastic processes, and is intended for teachers and students of these subjects. The site consists of an integrated set of components that includes expository text, interactive web apps, data sets, biographical sketches, and an object library.”
- Why Not to Trust Statistics | Math with Bad Drawings
- Probability and Statistics (Open + Free - April 2017 release) | Stanford Lagunita
- Probability & Statistics |
- Math 131A: Introduction to Probability and Statistics :: UC Irvine, UCI Open
- Math 131B: Introduction to Probability and Statistics :: UC Irvine, UCI Open
- Probabilistic Systems Analysis and Applied Probability | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare
- Statistics 110: Probability
Shalizi C.: The bootstrap. American Scientist. (2010)