Interesting people, people with interesting websites, people that have something interesting to say etc.,
Inspired by Cosma Shalizi‘s people page.
- Leslie Lamport Distributed Computing researcher. The “La” in LaTeX.
- Robert Harper Prof. at CS.CMU.edu. Blog. Functional Programming, ML. Books on SML and FP. Courses on Principles of PL.
- Peter Wilson Creator of Memoir LaTeX class.
- Stephen Brookes Prof. at CS.CMU.edu. Teaches Functional programming (15-150). Student of CAR Hoare. CSP etc.,
- Marc Feely Prof. at UMontreal. Scheme for embedded systems.
- Normal Ramsey Prof. at CS.Tufts.edu. FP, ML, Haskell, Stackoverflow maven.
- Andrew Appel Prof. at cs.princeton.edu. ML.
- John Reppy Prof. at cs.uchicago.edu. SML/NJ, ConcurrentML, Manticore.
- Andreas Rossberg -Alice ML developer
- Tom Minka researcher as MSR. Baysian, machine learning etc.,
- Philip Wadler – Prof. CS. at Edinburg (see “proofs are programs”)
- Walid Taha –Prof at cs.rice, (MetaML etc.,)
- David Evans – Prof at cs.virginia. He has taught some very interesting topics in CS including “Great works in computer science”, Operating systems course using Rust Programming language. Has taught courses on Udacity.
- Howard Seltman –at stat.cmu.edu, a book on experimental design and analysis. has copious notes on math, stat, stat-tools, etc.,.
- Per Martin-Lof
- Timothy A. Budd; cs prof; author of books on APL, Smalltalk, java and c++.
- Sebastiano Vigna CS professor. Data structures, METAPOST, Text search engine, editor (ne) etc.,
- Luca Cardelli well known for his research in type theory and operational semantics. Luca Cardelli: Geek of the Week - Simple Talk
- Clark Barwick – see his “Notes on mathematical writing”
- Jim Hoskind – programmer, netscape/java vet.
- Homepage of Timo Noko - The Professional Hobo
- Ole Peters
- Murray Gell-Mann - Wikipedia
- Iker Karrera as of 2018, the record holder of long distance endurance race Tor des Géants. He ran 330km in 70h4m15s.
- Bill Hammack see his videos on engineering - eg: platic injection molding.
- David Bohm - Wikipedia; David Bohm Society quotes.
- Margie Profet - Wikipedia
- Christopher Alexander - Wikipedia – Patterns in architecture lecture.
- Michael Devitt - Wikipedia via NNT.
- David A Huffman of Huffman coding fame. bio
- James Thurber “was an American cartoonist, author, humorist, journalist, playwright, and celebrated wit. He was best known for his cartoons and short stories published mainly in The New Yorker magazine, such as “The Catbird Seat”, and collected in his numerous books. He was one of the most popular humorists of his time, as he celebrated the comic frustrations and eccentricities of ordinary people.”
- Dashan (Mark Roswell), Canadian born Chinese media celebrity. Link is his answer on Quora..
Simone Weil. Read her book Simone Weil The Need for Roots Prelude to a
Declaration of Duties Towards Mankind (PDF)
“Uprootedness is by far the most dangerous malady to which human societies are exposed, for it is a self-propagating one. Whoever is uprooted himself uproots others. Whoever is rooted himself, does not uproot others.” – Simone Weil
- Who is the real Dice Man? The elusive writer behind the disturbing cult novel a piece on Luke Rhinehart (pen name of George Powers Cockcroft).
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Richard Gabriel “uses this”. Lisp programmers, computer scientist etc.,. His personal site is https://dreamsongs.com/